Tuesday, September 23, 2014

VWs and Long Arms

Years ago I worked as a driver.  I fancied myself as Jason Stathem in the Transporter, but it was more like Morgan Freeman in Driving Miss Daisy.  Depending on the day I might drive a shuttle bus or take a Towne Car to the airport and pick up some VIP but the best jobs were when I had to go pick up a Range Rover or a Cadillac and drive it back to the garage.  With  nobody to worry about in the back I could roll down the windows and hit Glenstone Ave and act like I owned the vehicle for a few minutes.
Back at the garage I would  go from Mr. Hammons pimped out Cadillac to my VW.   My VW was one of those that was missing 3 of the 4 door handles and required a me to bribe the mechanic with a 12 pack to ensure it would pass inspection.  Driving home from work was sad.

Last week I had a long arm machine come in on trade.  It was a brand I had heard about and that is quite popular so I thought I would set it up and play with it a bit before I found it a new home.  It was like driving home in the Volkswagen.  I would get a quilt set up and running on my machine, then I would go and try and do the same on the "other" machine and I realized how lucky I was to have a pimped out Cadillac for my daily driver.

A  hobby long arm machine is just that a hobby machine, sure it will get the job done and yes some professionals will use them.   My favoritist cab ride ever was in a VW Rabbit, not the most comfortable cab ride but by far the funnest (imagine the driver that thinks a VW rabbit is an acceptable car for hire.) There is nothing wrong with a VW, but don't get indignant when you are told it is not a Towne Car.  Feel free to comment below I know some of you will want to set me straight on this.
.






No comments:

Post a Comment