Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mega Man in Red

 A few weeks back the boss was out for a couple of days so that allowed me some time to mess around.  I have been wanting to try my hand at  "bit quilting".   'Mega Man in Red' was the result of said messing around.

He measures right around 50 inches tall, so the picture does not do him justice.  Some of you may recognize him as the hero of the classic video game of yesteryear Mega Man.  I purposely chose the 8-bit old school version because 8-bit generally uses fewer colors and less pixels making it an easier project.  All I did was replace each pixel with a 2 inch square.  I built him a row at a time so I could use strips instead of actually cutting out all those squares and sewing them back together.  It came out pretty cool, and given the catalog of 8-bit game characters I think bit quilting has a lot of potential especially among the aging gamers that have traded in their consoles for sewing machines.  I can see where the 16-bit sprites would be more of a challenge but would also  make some pretty awesome bed quilts.
8-bit

16-bit


2 comments:

  1. Great idea for a quilt pattern! Mega Man turned out perfect, too. Thanks for sharing the process behind it-- very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is a fairly simple thing to do, but the results are really cool, I want to tackle something a little more complicated when I next have some sewing time,

      Delete